Sunday, July 26, 2009

Free Health Care???

Okay - I had one of those "Why did I even go to the Hospital?" moments. This has happened to me several times, I think I learned once and for all. If you are not broken up, in severe pain or bleeding profusely, dont go to the hospital...Instead go to Walgreens and find your own first aid...And then go to the internet and find your own treatments. I mean to make this story short and painless, I waited in the emergency room from 9pm to 2am for basically some iodine and a bandage. That's it!

The injury was actually on my daughter. She fell and was in pain. I didnt want to take her but I wasnt sure if there was anything broken. Anyway, after that drama was over. The funny part happened.

I noted early as I entered the Hospital gates that I had to retrieve a ticket upon entry. To me this meant that I was entering a paid parking lot. How strange for a hospital, I said to myself.
On my departure, I went to the gate and the lady said $3.00. I passed her my VISA, apparently I forgot to bring cash with me on my way to the Hospital, but I figure I am not going anywhere else so I should be okay. When the teller informs me in Spanish that the ATM machine is not working, I tell her I have no cash. So, what am I supposed to do now.

She said to me that I need to leave my ID and go to the nearest ATM machine and bring the cash back. At 2:30 in the morning, my sense of humor is usually pushed to the side. All my thoughts were on the fact that if one could come to the hospital to get medical care here in Puerto Rico and anywhere else in the US regardless of if they could pay or not, why in the world would they have a parking lot at the same hospital that requires people to pay...and pay in cash.

Sounds pretty darn crazy to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment